- B.Sc. Northeastern University, Physics and Mathematics, 1982.
- M.Sc. University of Dayton, Materials Engineering, 1988.
- Ph.D. Arizona State University, Engineering Science,1999.
- Application of structural health monitoring methods to solid propellants.
- High strain rate characterization of materials.
- Thin films.
- C. Lopatin, S. Mahmood, E. Mendoza, B. Moslehi, R. Black, K. Chau and L. Oblea, “Progress in Miniaturization of a Multichannel Optical Fiber Bragg Grating Sensor Interrogator”, Third International Workshop on Optical Fibre Sensors, Proc. SPIE 6619, 2007.
- C. Lopatin, M. Froggatt, B. Childers, and R. Rogowski, “Distributed Measurement of Strain in Smart Materials Using Rayleigh Scattering”, 32nd International SAMPE Technical Conference, 2000.
- C.M. Lopatin, V. Pizziconi and T.L Alford, “Crystallization Kinetics of Sol-Gel Derived Hydroxyapatite Thin Films”,Journal of Materials Science; Materials in Medicine 12, 767-773, 2001
- C.M. Lopatin, T.L. Alford, V.B. Pizziconi, M. Kuan, and T. Laursen, “Ion-Beam Densification of Hydroxyapatite Thin Films”, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research, Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms B 145, p.522, 1998.
- C.M. Lopatin, T.L. Alford, V.B Pizziconi, and T. Laursen,” A New Technique for Characterization of Pore Structures in Materials – Application to the Study of Hydroxyapatite Thin Films”, Materials Letters 37P.211, 1998.
- C.M. Lopatin, V.B. Pizziconi, T.L. Alford, and T.Laursen, “Hydroxyapatite powders and Thin Films Prepared by a Sol-Gel Technique”, Thin Solid Films 326, P.227, 1998.
- C.M. Lopatin, S.J. Bless, and N.S. Brar, “Dynamic Unloading Behaviour of Soda Lime Glass”, Journal of Applied Physics 66, P.593, 1989.