Professor Emeritus, Formerly Head of the Fine Rocket Propulsion Center
and Formerly Head of the Aerothermodynamics Laboratory
Summary of Academic Accomplishments
- 120 Refereed Journal Publications
- 100 Major Reports
- 20 Patents Worldwide
- 370 Conference Papers and Presentations
- 90 Supervised Doctoral and Master Students
- B.Sc. Technion, Chemical Engineering,1968.
- M.Sc. Technion, Aerospace Engineering, 1971.
- D.Sc. Technion, Aerospace Engineering, 1975.
- Princeton University, 1976-1979 (Post-Doc) and 1984-1985(Visiting Professor).
- Naval Postgraduate School, Monterey, CA, (NRC Senior Research Fellow) 1983-1984.
- Faculty member at Technion since 1979. Professor since 1996.
- Head, Propulsion and Combustion Laboratory, 1996-2014.
- Lena and Ben Fohrman Chair in Aeronautical Engineering, 1998-2012.
- Head, Fine Rocket Propulsion Center, 1999-2014.
- Dean of Students, January 2000 – December 2002.
- Head, Aerothermodynamics Laboratory, 2009-2014.
Honors and Recognitions
- Foreign Member, US National Academy of Engineering, since 2014.
- Member, International Academy of Astronautics, since 1994.
- Honorary Fellow, High Energy Materials Society of India (HEMSI), from 2003.
- Honorary Fellow, The Australian Institute of High Energetic Materials, from 2011.
- Fellow, The Royal Institution of Naval Architects (RINA), from 2006.
- Fellow, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA), from 2007.
- Rocket, ramjet and scramjet propulsion
- Reacting and two-phase flows
- Gas-Metal interactions
- Metal and boron combustion
- Heat and mass transfer
- Bubbly flows
- Marine propulsion
- Hydrogen and electric energy production and storage
- Gany, A., Caveny, L.H. and Summerfield, M., “Aerothermochemistry of Metal Erosion by Hot Reactive Gases”, 17th National AIChE/ASME Heat Transfer Conference, Salt Lake City, UT, August 15-17, 1977. ASME Publication (Preprint) 77-HT-12 (Best Paper of the Year Award).
- Gany, A. and Caveny, L.H., “Agglomeration and Ignition Mechanism of Aluminum Particles in Solid Propellants”, 17th Symposium (International) on Combustion, The Combustion Institute, University of Leeds, England, August 20-25, 1978. Proceedings, pp. 1453-1461.
- Gany, A., “Analysis of Gun-Launched, Solid Fuel Ramjet Projectiles”, International Journal of Energetic Materials and Chemical Propulsion, Vol. 1. Issue 1-6, 1991, pp. 289-309.
- Ben-Arosh, R. and Gany, A., “Similarity and Scale Effects in Solid Fuel Ramjet Combustors”, J. of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 8, No. 3, May-June 1992, pp. 615-623.
- Natan, B. and Gany, A., “Combustion Characteristics of a Boron-Fueled Solid Fuel Ramjet with Aft-Burner”, J. of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 9, No. 4, July-Aug. 1993, pp. 694-701.
- Varshay, H. and Gany, A., “Underwater Two-Phase Ramjet Engine”, United States Patent Number 5,598,700, Feb. 4, 1997, and Registered Patent in 15 more countries (11 European countries, Canada, Australia, South Africa, Taiwan).
- Ben-Yakar, A., Natan, B. and Gany, A., “Investigation of a Solid Fuel Scramjet Combustor”, J. of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 14, No. 4, July-August 1998, pp. 447-455.
- Gany, A. and Aharon, I., “Internal Ballistics Considerations of Nozzleless Rocket Motors”, J. of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 15, No. 6, Nov.-Dec. 1999, pp. 866-873.
- Pelosi-Pinhas, D. and Gany, A., “Bypass-Regulated Solid Fuel Ramjet Combustor in Variable Flight Conditions”, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 19, No. 1, Jan.-Feb. 2003, pp. 73-80.
- Albagli, D. and Gany, A., “High Speed Bubbly Nozzle Flow with Heat, Mass and Momentum Interactions”, International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer, Vol. 46, No. 11, 2003, pp. 1993-2003.
- Mor, M. and Gany, A., “Analysis of Two-Phase Homogeneous Bubbly Flows Including Friction and Mass Addition”, Journal of Fluid Engineering, Transaction of ASME, Vol. 126, No. 1, Jan. 2004, pp. 102-109.
- Gany, A., “Analysis of a New Thermodynamic Power Cycle for a Two-Phase Waterjet”, International Conference Waterjet Propulsion 4, The Royal Institute of Naval Architects (RINA), London, UK, May 26-27, 2004, Proceedings on CD with full paper, 6 pages.
- Shafirovich, E., Bocanegra, P.E., Chanveau, C., Gokalp, I., Goldshleger, U., Rosenband, V. and Gany, A., “Ignition of Single Nickel-Coated Aluminum Particles”, Proceedings of the Combustion Institute, Vol. 30, 2005, pp. 2055-2062.
- Hahma, A., Gany, A. and Palovuori, K., “Combustion of Activated Aluminum”, Combustion and Flame, Vol. 145, No. 3, May 2006, pp. 464-480.
- Gany, A., “Effect of Fuel Properties on the Specific Thrust of a Ramjet Engine”, Defence Science Journal, Vol. 56, No. 3, July 2006, pp. 321-328.
- Rosenband, V. and Gany, A., “Agglomeration and Ignition of Aluminum Particles Coated by Nickel”, International Journal of Energetic Materials and Chemical Propulsion, Vol. 6, Issue 2, 2007, pp. 143-152.
- Gany, A., “Similarity and Scaling Effects in Hybrid Rocket Motors”, Fundamentals of Hybrid Rocket Combustion and Propulsion, edited by M. Chiaverini and K.K. Kuo, Progress in Astronautics and Aeronautics, Vol. 218, AIAA, 2007, Ch. 12, pp. 487-509.
- Gany, A., “Accomplishments and Challenges in Solid Fuel Ramjets and Scramjets”, International Journal of Energetic Materials and Chemical Propulsion, Vol. 8, Issue 5, 2009, pp. 421-446.
- Yavor, Y., Rosenband, V., and Gany ,A., “Reduced Agglomeration Resulting from Nickel Coating of Aluminum Particles in Solid Propellants”, International Journal of Energetic Materials and Chemical Propulsion, Vol. 9, No. 6, 2010, pp. 477-492.
- Rosenband, V. and Gany, A., “Application of Activated Aluminum Powders for Generation of Hydrogen from Water”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 35, Issue 20, Oct. 2010, ISSN 0360-3199, pp. 10898-10904.
- Weinstein, A. and Gany, A., “Testing and Modeling Liquefying Fuel Combustion in Hybrid Propulsion”, Progress in Propulsion Physics, Vol. 4, 2012, pp. 63-76.
- Pelosi, A.D. and Gany, A., “Modeling the Combustion of a Solid Fuel Containing a liquid Oxidizer Droplet”, Journal of Propulsion and Power, Vol. 28, No. 6, Nov-Dec 2012, pp. 1379-1388. DOI: 10.2514/1.B34488.
- Fradkin, E.G. and Gany, A., “Investigation of Nanoporous Silicon-Based Energetic Materials”, International Journal of Energetic Materials and Chemical Propulsion, Vol. 11, No. 2, 2012, pp. 135-148.
- Yavor, Y., Gany, A., and Beckstead, M., “Modeling the Agglomeration Phenomena in Combustion of Aluminized Composite Solid Propellants”, Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics, Vol. 39, No. 1, Feb 2014, pp. 108-116. DOI: 10.1002/prep.201300073.
- Gany, A. and Gofer, A., “Study of a Novel Air Augmented Waterjet Boost Concept”, Journal of Ship Production and Design (JSPD), Vol. 30, No. 1, Feb. 2014, pp. 1-6.
- Gany, A., “Thermodynamic Limitation on Boron Energy Realization in Ramjet Propulsion”, Acta Astronautica, Vol. 98, May-June 2014, pp. 228-232.
- Gany, A. and Michaels, D., “Propulsion System and Method using a Combustion Chamber Discharging a Concentrated Mass”, Israel Patent No. 197387, May 1, 2014. US Patent No. 8,789,795 B2, July 29, 2014.
- Michaels, D. and Gany, A., “Theoretical and Experimental Study of a Thruster Discharging a Weight”, Acta Astronautica, Vol. 99, 2014, pp. 252-262.
- Rosenband , V. and Gany, A., “Compositions and Methods for Hydrogen Generation”, US Patent 8,668,897 B2, March 11, 2014.
- Elitzur, S., Rosenband, V., and Gany, A., “Study of Hydrogen Production and Storage Based on Aluminum-Water Reaction”, International Journal of Hydrogen Energy, Vol. 39, 2014, pp. 6328-6334.
- Elitzur, S., Rosenband V., and Gany A., “Electric Energy Storage Using Aluminium and Water for Hydrogen Production on-Demand”, International Journal of Applied Science and Technology (IJAST), Vol. 5, No. 4, Aug 2015, pp. 112-121.
- Ben-Basat (Sisi) S., and Gany A., “Heat and Mass Transfer Analysis for Paraffin / Nitrous Oxide Burning Rate in Hybrid Propulsion”, Acta Astronautica, Vol. 120, Jan. 2016, pp. 121-128.